Starting as a small one-man store on Broadway & 26th Street, Mortimer Levitt founded The Custom Shop in 1937. The first 5 stores were all located in New York City. These one-man locations later became a two-man operation to accommodate The Custom Shop’s rapidly growing clientele.
The Custom Shop was really known for their quality custom dress shirts. This enabled Mr. Levitt’s company to become a multi-million dollar enterprise in just 3 years and 10 months. He retired for a short while; only to return to the business he was so passionate about.